Sunday, December 27, 2009

Let It Snow by John Green, Maureen Johnson, and Lauren Myracle

Happy holidays, everyone! As it is the lovely and magical holiday season, I figured now was the perfect time to fill my brain with holiday romances and read a book by the fire. I’ve been so excited to read this book for such a long time because I got to read a story by my favorite author, John Green. Before we talk about this book, I must insist that if you haven’t read any of Green’s books, GO READ THEM NOW! He is a masterful writer and deserves to be read over and over again. Anyway, back to the book in question. The book contains three holiday themed stories all taking place in the same town that become interconnected with one another.

Now, even though I’m a very romantic person I’ve never been one for stupid teenage romances. I’d take Pride and Prejudice over One Tree Hill or Gossip Girl any day. My one fear with reading this book was that the romances would revolve around petty teenagers who were stupid and lame. But then I remembered, I was about to read a story by John Green, who’s characters are anything but petty and one dimensional. If he was willing to see his name on a book alongside these two other authors, they must be good!

So I began. The first story was from Maureen Johnson. Even though I’m familiar with her name because I’ve heard it on John Green’s vlog, I’m sad to say that I haven’t read her books (sorry Nerdfighters, I’ll do that very very soon!) The first character introduced to me was named Jubilee and Maureen wrote this:

“I realize Jubilee is a bit of a stripper name. You probably think I have heard the call of the pole. But no. If you saw me, you’d get the idea pretty quickly that I’m not a stripper (I think). I have a little black bob. I wear glasses half the time, and contacts the other half. I’m sixteen, I sing in a choir, I attend Mathletes events. I play field hockey, which lacks the undulating, baby-oiled grace that is the stripper’s stock and trade. (I have no problem with strippers, in case any strippers are reading this. I’m just not one. My major concern, stripage-wise, is the latex. I think latex is probably bad for your skin because it doesn’t allow it to breathe.)”

After reading that, I knew I found a friend in Maureen Johnson. Through the rest of her story, her characters were funny, relatable and her kiss was written wonderfully, I was jealous to be reading it instead of experiencing it! I’m ashamed that I haven’t written more of Johnson’s other books because reading her writing is like talking with my best friend, it’s natural, easy, and funny. Her story left me hungry for more!

Next came John Green’s story A Cheertastic Christmas Miracle. I was upset about a story centering on cheerleaders but I trusted John Green and I wasn’t disappointed. His characters were as original and realistic as always and once again, he nailed it with his descriptions of relationships. Reading his work just makes me happy and it makes me feel understood. He doesn’t see teenagers as the stereotypical group that most adults do, he sees them as people. He writes to intelligent teenagers, not dumb ones (Nerdfighters, hoo haa!!)

The last story in the book was from Lauren Myracle. I have read a book of hers before but it was a very long time ago. I can say that this was my least favorite story. I didn’t like the writing of this one at all. The main character, Addie, was all together too whiney for my taste. I hated the writing of the entire story. I don’t know if it was Myracle’s style that I didn’t like or if I just hated the characters but I didn’t find myself enjoying this story like I felt I should. What I did enjoy was the fact that Addie worked in a Starbucks. Every Starbucks joke hit home with me and that part was very funny and very realistic. Starbucks workers unite!

This is such a fun book and I definitely recommend it! The kisses are truly delightful to read about and I do feel instilled with a sense of holiday cheer! It’s a good book to pass the time with.

Until next time, happy reading! Send me your book recommendations if you have them, I’d be happy to check them out and review them all! Leave any comments below! I’d love to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment